The Cedar Bayou Initiative is a partnership of public and private sector stakeholders in the Cedar Bayou watershed. Its purpose is to identify and pursue priority projects to reduce flooding and enhance communities along Cedar Bayou.
Cedar Bayou is a vital waterway for shipping, recreation, and quality of life for thousands of residents and businesses in Harris, Chambers, and Liberty counties. The impacts of flooding and burgeoning growth pose challenges for the future economic vibrancy of the area.
Led by Chambers County Judge Jimmy Sylvia, a coalition of local governments and private sector partners formed the Cedar Bayou Initiative to collaborate on solutions for challenges facing the waterway. Facilitated by the Houston-Galveston Area Council, the Cedar Bayou Initiative serves as an opportunity for local leaders to coordinate efforts in moving priority flood reduction projects forward with shared benefits.
Cedar Bayou Initiative Partners
- Baytown/West Chambers County Economic Development Foundation
- Cedar Bayou Navigation District
- Chambers County/Chambers County Judge’s Office
- Chambers-Liberty County Navigation District
- Chevron Phillips
- City of Baytown
- City of Mont Belvieu
- Harris County Flood Control District
- Harris County/Harris County Commission Precinct 2
- Houston-Galveston Area Council
- JR Intermodal
- Liberty County
- Richardson Companies
- Trans-Global Systems, Inc.
- Texas Department of Transportation
- Union Pacific Railroad